Friday, January 16, 2015

A blogging break apology, and a short rant about working while pregnant!

Sorry I haven't blogged in ages! This fall was just consuming: commuting (1 hour each way), working full time, minding a toddler whenever I wasn't working, and being very, very pregnant. My main symptom was exhaustion, which is probably a combination of all of the above.

By the end, I was eating breakfast and lunch in the car, and getting home in time to climb into bed with my toddler, only wake up at 6:30am to do it again.

I sort of think the expectation in our society that pregnant moms are able to work right up to their due dates is crazy. Or, perhaps other women are just stronger than I am. While I like to deny it as much as every other woman who can hold up her head and continue on as if everything was normal, let me admit it right now: being pregnant is hard work. Don't even get me started on the 6 weeks maternity leave in New York State. Yes, we should be thankful that we get even that, since in the US maternity leave of any sort is a grand privilege. Most of Europe is much more civilized about it... a year in the UK, with 90 percent wages, is much more like it!

Actually, I am very fortunate to work at a college that gives a semester leave, and since the holidays, I have been home. So really, I am not complaining. But I feel for all of you other pregnant working women out there.

Anyway, despite the lack of blogging activity, making things did not completely stop. I have a whole bunch of projects to share! Maternity clothes will be upcoming... I didn't buy one item of maternity clothing this time around, I just can't bear to look at the stuff available in stores, it is just so ugly and unflattering. I also tried for a mostly home-made christmas, so I have some cute homemade christmas and birthday presents to show.

No comments:

Post a Comment